Friday, December 28, 2007

Kim Tolliver - I'll Try To Do Better (Rojac 129)

I'll Try To Do Better

"It was a cold day in December, and I was trying to find myself a little restitution.

All of a sudden, I found out it was a New Year, so I made myself a New Year's resolution.

I've got to change my way of living, instead of taking, I've got to start giving."

Kim Tolliver, who gave us all so much, lost her long battle with Alzheimer's disease this past summer.

I couldn't think of a more fitting song to pay tribute to those who have gone on before us here in 2007. This Harlem Soul masterpiece is just about as good as it gets.

Say Amen, somebody!

Please join me in a moment of reflection as we honor these great men and women who have left this world a better place:

IKE TURNER
BOBBY BYRD
LUTHER INGRAM
WILLIE TEE
EARL TURBINTON
OLIVER MORGAN
BILL PINKNEY
FREDDIE SCOTT
JOE HUNTER
KIP ANDERSON
ELDEE YOUNG RICHARD "KUSH" GRIFFITH
MAX ROACH
OSCAR PETERSON
NELLIE LUTCHER
ZOLA TAYLOR
JOEL DORN
HYMAN WEISS
JON LUCIEN
LARRY LEE
ANDREW HILL
JAMES "POOKIE" HUDSON
JIMMY CHEATHAM
MICHAEL BRECKER
JOE ZAWINUL
WALTER TURNBULL
MARVIN "SWEET LOUIE" SMITH
ERNESTINE RUNDLESS
FLO SLEDGE
MICHAEL BURNETT
ERNEST C. WITHERS
EDDIE FISHER
CARSON WHITSETT
DAKOTA STATON
BOB RELF
ALVIN BATTISTE
BARBARA McNAIR
ALICE COLTRANE
BILLY HENDERSON
BOOTS RANDOLPH
ALEX BROWN
LUCKY DUBE
FRANKIE BRUNSON
GEORGE MALONE
DALE HOUSTON
GEORGE JONES
BILL MOSS
FRANK HAYES
GLORIA WALKER
CHARLES BURNS
HUMPHREY STEWART DAVIS, JR.
LAWRENCE PANNA, SR.
LOUIS CHACHERE
HOWARD "SLIM" HUNT
CLARENCE "TEX" WALKER
"SHAKEY JAKE" WOODS
ZYDECO JOE
May they rest in peace.

I'll talk to you next year.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for all of your support this year, and as always, thank you for all of the tremendous music! Here's hoping that you and yours had a wonderful holiday, and that 2008 brings you plenty of peace, blessings and SOUL!

3:06 PM  
Blogger The Stepfather of Soul said...

Congrats, Red, on being named to the Guardian list of top online music sources! Happy New Year to you and I look forward to a great 2008 for both of us and our blogs!

10:11 AM  
Blogger ad said...

What a epic closing to this year's postings.
Marvellous song.
Thanks and happy new year.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home